Bruno Fernandes made his Manchester United debut in the barren draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Old Trafford on Saturday, and the 25-year old looks set for bright days with the Red Devils.
The former Sporting Lisbon man signed a five-and-a-half year deal with an option to extend it for a further year, but how much do you know about Bruno?
- He was born and raised in Maia, a suburb of Porto where the city’s airport is located. His interest in football started because his cousin Vitor Borges played for Boavista, Porto’s second club. Years later, Bruno started his career with the same club.
- He moved to Italy aged just 17 and spent five years with Novara, Udinese and Sampdoria. He was so homesick at first he nearly quit football, but his girlfriend moved over to join him and helped him to settle.
- His childhood idols were Ronaldinho, Deco and Rui Costa.
- Bruno has a 90-minute siesta every day after lunch.
- He is naturally two-footed.
- The 25-year-old has a temper: CCTV footage of him shouting “F–k you! Go f–k yourselves!” after being sent off against Boavista in September was broadcast on Portuguese national TV.
- Fernandes likes to wear the number 8 jersey in honour of his father, who wore the same jersey, and because his birthday is on the 8th September. He has the number 8 tattooed on his right arm.
- He has only ever had one girlfriend, his now wife, Ana Pinho, who he met at school at the age of 16. The couple have a daughter, Matilde, who will be three years old tomorrow.