Sporting Lisbon head coach Silas has for the first time opened up on the recent speculation linking his highly rated midfielder Bruno Fernandes with a move to Manchester United.
Silas who was appointed in September last year to replace interim manager Leonel Pontes says he is still counting on the £55million rated Portuguese midfielder but has not denied that Manchester United are closing in on a deal.
United head coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his assistant Mike Phelan were in Porto last week to scout on the 25-year old with Lisbon President Frederico Varandas spotted in England on Friday reportedly meeting United officials.
Fernandes was instrumental in the 3-1 win away to Setubal, bagging a brace, and was quite emotional in what looked like his last appearance for the Portuguese giants.
When asked about rumours that United already have an agreement in place, Silas said after the game: ‘I can’t guarantee any of these things because I don’t know. ‘I’m already thinking about the game with Benfica [on Friday] and I’m thinking about using him.’
United legend Rio Ferdinand fueled speculation his old club were closing in on Fernandes when he tweeted ‘Brunoooooooooo’ alongside an egg timer and ticking clock emoji.
Fernandes’ agent Rui Guimaraes who liked Ferdinand’s tweet, prompting more speculation is in England in what now looks like the final stages of materializing the deal despite Silas’ non-commitment.